Happy Valentine’s Day!
I’m going to dedicate this entry to my love of baseball. I love Amy, Olivia and my family most, but I also love baseball. Here’s what I love about it. 51 reasons. 51 days to opening day.
1. I love attending a game with Amy and Olivia and snagging baseballs while they watch.
2. I love turning around after catching a homerun and seeing Amy smiling at me.
3. I love going to batting practice early before the music is blaring through the stadium and hearing the crack of the bat, the smack of the ball in the glove, and the chatter from the field.
4. I love the fact that I’ve personally experienced three Pittsburgh Pirates division championships, and will again someday. When that day happens… Sheer joy!
5. I love hitting a home run and it barely feels like you hit the ball because you connected so well.
6. I love watching the ball disappear beyond the fence.
7. I love when a speedster takes a large lead and makes the pitcher nervous.
8. I love watching the first game of Spring Training and having the feeling that baseball is back.
9. I love watching a play at the plate.
10. I love a 6-4-3 double play when my team turns it.
11. I love when a manager gets ejected.
12. I love when the home team is a strike away from winning and the whole crowd is standing, hanging on every pitch.
13. I love a pennant race.
14. I love the creative jeers that the bleacher creatures hurl at visiting outfielders.
15. I love it when the player acknowledges those jeers.
16. I love a pitcher’s duel.
17. I love watching a line score at the ballpark when a no hitter is taking place.
18. I love a diving catch.
19. I love throwing a perfect knuckleball.
20. I love scooping a bad throw out of the dirt.
21. I love watching a prospect’s major league debut.
22. I love looking at old baseball cards and reminiscing about what life was like when I got that card.
23. I love finding an easter egg (baseball) hidden in the seats during batting practice.
24. I love a run down.
25. I love watching the other team throw a baseball away.
26. I love watching a pitcher’s pitch count increase well over 100, wondering how much gas they have left in the tank.
27. I love when the bases are loaded and there’s nobody out.
28. I love it when the umpires decide to play through a steady rain.
29. I love going to a road game and experiencing the quirks of a new ballpark for the first time.
30. I love home run chases among players for the league title.
31. I love getting my season tickets in the mail and scrutinizing their design.
32. I love the playoffs and World Series.
33. I love the All Star game introductions.
34. I love rivalries.
35. I love milestones, such as 3,000 hits or 500 home runs.
36. I love watching great players such as Mariano Rivera pitch or Albert Pujols bat.
37. I love getting baseballs thrown to me by visiting players after switching my outfit.
38. I love explaining the game of baseball to folks that are trying to learn more about it.
39. I love how the game isn’t constrained by time like football, basketball, and hockey.
40. I love how baseball jargon shows up in everyday conversations, such as, “you threw me a curveball.”
41. I love how the Baltimore Orioles fans scream “OHHHH” during the national anthem at the “Oh say does that star spangled banner” part.
42. I love draft day and anticipating who the Pirates are going to pick.
43. I love when teams take batting practice on Sundays, when I’m not expecting it.
44. I love when a pitcher breaks 100 mph on the stadium radar gun.
45. I love it when people leave behind their promotional items after a game and I can get a few extras to sell.
46. I love the smell of a baseball.
47. I love competing for baseballs in the stands and also on mygameballs.
48. I love watching a triple unfold, or a player stretching a single into a double.
49. I love how the stadium is decked out in red white and blue banners on Opening Day.
50. I love singing take me out to the ballgame with 35,000 other fans.
51. I love the same game that I’ve loved since I was a boy, and always will.
What do you love about baseball?
51 days until opening day, 4 days until pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training, and 6 days left to win this Dustin Pedroia T-Shirt.